Hong's Spot

Chicken McFlurry

Thursday, May 11, 2006

blur




One advantage of living in the UK, is that UK bands are recognised.
As far as I know, Koreans don't have much knowledge of music outside Korea,
barring the super famous superstars e.g. Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, etc. (notice how they're all pop-stars...)
This may be partly due to the abundance of Korean celebrities and singers, who get more press coverage than Hollywood stars, in Korea.


I get the impression it's not exactly the case in Malaysia. There are loads of Malaysians who know Korean actors and singers but the same cannot be said the other way round.
So Malaysia does not really have an excuse for it's lack of music from the UK..


But whatever the reason, the Msian music scene is dominated mainly by American music. I've already posted about my difficulty in finding Placebo albums (They've won numerous awards! Best UK Band Award! They are gods in France!).. The same could be said of blur. The first blur album I ever bought was blur: The Best Of. (btw, I'm intentionally typing "blur" without a capital B).

I've searched for all their other albums, but did not manage to succeed in Msia. Although to be fair, I did find their album "13" a few times.

The only goddamn song people have ever heard is "Song 2" and occasionally you get people who've heard "Coffee & Tv" This severely annoys me. (There's one person I know in Msia who loves blur...was so happy when I found out, it's like finding a soulmate lol.) But FINALLY, I'm in the UK, and when I mention blur, people go "ooh! I love blur!"


The Great Escape, and Blur.

And Dhany sent me one of their albums, "Think Tank"!!! Was very happy when I received it, so much thanks to Dhany.


There's still quite a long way to go before I can finish this album collection. I've still got to buy "Leisure", "Parklife" and a couple more others. I'm hoping Think Tank was not their last album ever..


If you haven't listened to blur ever in your life, I suggest you do. Except Think Tank and 13, their music may seem a little retro at times, but really, their music, all of it is a good mixture of many genres.

5 Comments:

At Friday, May 12, 2006 1:46:00 am, Blogger justanothertragedy said...

I've heard of a few songs by Blur but the only one I can remember is just Song 2. Haha.

 
At Sunday, May 14, 2006 1:08:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like their song "Tender."

Tender is the night/lying by your side...

By the by, I didn't know you played the guitar?

 
At Sunday, May 14, 2006 1:12:00 pm, Blogger Hong Chan Lee said...

i loev the song "tender" too!
but who are you dolly parton?
been playin guitar for a while. play the violin too.

 
At Sunday, May 14, 2006 2:50:00 pm, Blogger mrbherng said...

Just dropping by.. my bro bought blur's cassettes many years back and those are exactly the 2 that we had. I wonder where's it now anyway... hmm..
as for your tag in kennysia.com. I just live a few miles away from the mill stadium =P but never get the chance to watch the match and it's not a wise idea to go to town on a cup final. I was in town during the carling cup final and it was ..... crazy.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:12:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home